Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Horizons of Hope





Yesterday was good.  It was a day that painted a picture of hope.  A soft warm glow on the horizon.  The eager anticipation for the sun to burst forth and illuminate all of God's creation with His glory.

I don't know about you, but this world can get the best of me at times.  We've tasted the bitterness, suffering and death it offers.  Despair and hopelessness flirt with our hearts.  Sometimes caving in to the  enormous burdens put on us.  We lose peace, then, we lose joy.

A particular burden of a lost loved one in my life has been especially heavy the past few years.  With time,  hearts seem harder, choices seem even more devastating.

Yet, God has given me something to grasp.  Hope.  It is a word that has become my lifeline back to truth.  It reminds me to believe in an empty grave.  It reminds me God is good.  It reminds me there is no darkness in Him.  It reminds me of His sovereignty.  It reminds me of His power to save.  It reminds me that my Lord is coming back!

So, what was so hopeful about yesterday, you might be thinking.  I had the opportunity to meet with my foster daughters's mom outside a Starbucks for a brief time.  Her life is a tragic one and full of choices that led her to where she is right now.  I shared with her my Hope found in Christ.  I held her hand and prayed that she might find her way to that same Hope.  We plan to chat again.

There was that soft warm glow on the horizon.  It reminded me God is not dead.  It reminded me God's love covers a multitude of sins.  It reminded me that He is Light.  It reminded me that God commands the winds and waves.  It reminded me that God removed scales from Paul's eyes.  It reminded me to eagerly anticipate the SON to burst forth and illuminate all of creation with all His glory!

"But as for me, I will hope continually, 
And will praise You yet more and more." - Psalm 71:14

"and hope does not disappoint, 
because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts
 through the Holy Spirit who was given to us". - Romans 5:5

"But if we hope for what we do not see, 
with perseverance we wait eagerly for it." - Romans 8:25

1 comment:

Linda said...

I was so happy to hear this. I will pray that their mom becomes a Christian, and I HOPE, too, that it will bring changes in her life for the good! I'm so thankful that you were able to share the gospel with her, Marianne :)